L’Institut Polaire Français Paul-Emile Victor (IPEV, the French Polar Institute) has chosen Kongsberg Maritime subsea hydroacoustic package for the mid-life upgrade of the R/V Marion Dufresne.
The delivery includes new Kongsberg Maritime hydrographic equipment in addition to a Simrad EK80 scientific echo sounder for fishery research purposes. IPEV has also signed a 10 year Maintenance Contract which covers the entire Scope of Supply from Kongsberg Maritime.
Named after the French explorer Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne (1724-1772), R/V Marion Dufresne is a multi-purpose, 120 meters long research and supply vessel.
The complete KONGSBERG package for the upgrade, which takes place at Damen Shiprepair Dunkerque, France, in April 2015, consists of the following equipment:
– EM® 122 – Full Ocean Depth Multibeam Echo Sounder;
– SBP 120 – Full Ocean Depth Sub-Bottom Profiler;
– EM® 710 MKII – Medium Water Multibeam Echo Sounder;
– EK80 – Scientific Echo Sounder;
– K-Sync – Synchronisation System.
Øystein Aasbø, Area Sales Manager, Kongsberg Maritime, commented: “IPEV needed a supplier with a proven technology base and well documented similar deliveries within the last 10 years. Our delivery, including the EM® 122 which replaces the existing 12 kHz multibeam echo sounder on board and the newly released upgrade of the medium water multibeam EM® 710; EM® 710 MKII, enhances the R/V Marion Dufresne’s capabilities significantly, ensuring it is prepared for a wide range of survey, scientific and research activity going forward.”
R/V Marion Dufresne is equipped with a full suite of geophysical facilities (including multibeam bathymetry and imagery) and has capabilities for raising long sediment cores, up to 60 meters. With a capacity for 110 passengers, the R/V Marion Dufresne allows large scientific parties to embark on multidisciplinary programs.
The R/V Marion Dufresne is chartered by the TAAF (Territoire des Terres Australes et Antarctiques Françaises) on an annual basis from the shipping line CMA-CGM. The ship was constructed by Ateliers et Chantiers du Havre (Normandy) and delivered on 12 May 1995. It is registered out of the port of Marseille, France, but its base of operations is the island of La Réunion.