By Steve Thompson, The Dallas Morning News
The death of a 27-year-old man who drowned while diving for golf balls Wednesday is being investigated as an industrial accident, authorities say.
Christopher Logan of Lewisville was hired to retrieve golf balls from the water traps around the Las Colinas Country Club golf course, Irving police say.
Employees at the club noticed that one of the men employed by the company contracted to recover the balls had not returned by closing time at 8 p.m, said Stephen Salzman, the club’s general manager. So someone went to look for him.
Near the eighteenth green, an employee saw Logan’s breathing apparatus floating in the water and noticed that the pump that supplies the air was not running.
The Irving Fire Department responded and found Logan’s body submerged in the water.
The Dallas County medical examiner’s office has ruled the death an accident due to drowning and the toxic effects of carbon monoxide.
Salzman said the pond is only five feet deep in some areas. “Something catastrophic must have happened,” he said.
Police say officials with the U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration are investigating the death. OSHA officials say they don’t comment about ongoing investigations.
Logan’s wife, Jennifer Logan, told KDFW-TV (Fox 4) that her husband had taken the part-time job with a friend’s golf ball retrieval business because his primary employer cut his work hours. He was scuba certified, she said, and they have a 3-year-old son.
“He was just trying to do what he had to do to provide for his family,” she told Fox. “He enjoyed doing it and it was the perfect situation, you know, for him to be able to make extra money and still be home at a decent hour at night.”